Saturday 8 July 2017

Japan's first warship captain takes control: Miho Otani

Women captains of warships - anywhere in the world - are still very very rare. Senior officers, yes. But making it to the top boss is a real feat.
Here's Commander Miho Otani, Japan’s first female warship captain. She's 45, has a 12-year-old daughter and faced family opposition at first.

"EQUAL"
“I feel that male and females are very much equal in terms of careers. I get the same salary. […]There are some duties I can’t assume, such as going on submarines, but other than that, there are not many jobs that I cannot do. I feel it’s equal” she announced very diplomatically.

In fact, Japan's navy has been slow in letting in women. And most countries' navies have been - in principle - allowing women on submarines for at least six years.

Read more at https://humansatsea.com/2017/07/04/meet-commander-miho-otani-japans-first-female-warship-captain/

No comments: